Monday, May 26, 2008

Life at Home

I have been home now little over a week, almost 2 weeks. I am in the throws of my 3 week algebra course which is proving to be much more difficult than I imagine. First, nothing and I mean nothing is familiar from my last class 5 years ago and it is so compressed and fast. I will be spending lots of time in the math lab this week.

So my adjusting to culture shock hasn't really happened. No time! I find myself saying "no gracias" a various times and the people in the stores look at me weird. It is still strange that everything is in English. In general, everything is just so big and large. Especially the food, eating out, the massive amounts of food that is served is just overwhelming. The food is huge, full of fat and sugar. Since I am finally back to goal at Weight Watchers I am gonna have to fight against all the huge food that I see everywhere...like a giant monster!!!

I couldn't stand the thought of never using my Spanish again so I have signed up for a conversation course at UH-Clear Lake through the continue education dept.. I decided that I have to do something, I just can't let all my time, money and effort slip away due to lack of use. I also discovered Spanish language conversations on podcasts that I can listen to in the car or while walking the dogs.

Also, I interviewed to work at Weight Watchers as a receptionist at one of the "spanish" meetings. That is suppose to start in a few weeks.

Feels like I have a number of things going but really not to many of them are really going except school. This Spanish adventure is certainly turning out to be a significant part of my life and I am addicted! I can't stop!

Paul will be returning home in just a week or so. It will be nice to have him home, I am alone so much of the time now. The girls are all out and about and no time for the mom.

adios para ahora

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Thanks for posting! C.