Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Emotions and more emotions

2 days and counting. I can't believe I am on the verge of leaving my life here. It is so comfortable and warm it is incredible the 4 months are up.

Even harder than leaving here is the fact that after 8 years of taking Spanish classes, I have graduated with my Bachelors in Spanish and there isn't one Spanish class in my future. It is a very odd feeling. Now I have another challenge, to somehow find ways to practice my Spanish, or slowly it will all go away. It is strange to think how much money, time and energy I have spent to learn Spanish and with very little effort it can all be gone.
I am going to try to find ways to use it though either school, volunteering or work but it will be difficult while going to school full time, running a house etc. No matter what, none of it will be the same as living here in Mexico.

I hope that when I start teaching not only will I be able to use it but hopefully make up lost skills and grow from it. I have changed my teaching major from Bilingual education to ESL: English as a Second Language credential. I realized recently that if I was to go for a bilingual credential I would be competing against native speakers, and it would be a struggle since most of the classes are in English and my opportunities to use Spanish in my world are limited. So ESL seems like a more reasonable alternative. Also, I am really ready to get to work so ESL give me a direction and hopefully in 18 months be working.

I get home on Thurs, May 15th and on the following Monday, I start my 8 weeks of algebra classes. My math skills are a fine example of "don't use it, lose it". I am retaking algebra after only about 5 years, I have forgotten it all, not even a little memory of it!

I am really going to miss Mexico, it is has been such a wonderful experience!

más tarde...




I

No comments: