Saturday, January 26, 2008

More thoughts...

Yesterday I bought air time for my cell phone. I gave the guy at the
cell phone store, $200.00 pesos ($20) and went off with my little card
with the the code that I put in my phone to update my airtime. Well,
the little number wouldn't work. Kept saying, "incorrect" numbers. So
after walking to 2 different cell stores today, I found out that my
card is a stolen card. I ask them "does their cell phone stores
normally sell stolen phone cards", of course no. Since the clerk at
yesterday's store failed to give me a receipt, I have no proof I
bought it for a refund. Lesson learned. From now on, when I buy the
card, I use it then and there. If there is a problem it can be get
fixed.

Cell phones are so frustrating. I bought a new $100 USD cell phone
the other day in the hopes that when Paul calls me, the reception
would be improved. NOPE!! Still is always gamble if he can even get
through to me at all and if he does,"will the quality be good enough
to carry on a conversation or not?". Just never ever know.
Fortunately, I have Skype. Oh, and if I call home with my cell phone
here, the quality is perfect but only cost $3.00 a minute or so. Back
to Skype.

I went to my internship yesterday. We had a nice chat about what I
doing there, my jobs etc and we got it all worked out. So I am helping
Mericarmen, she is their marketing director, I am helping her by creating a student
directory. So I am to go around on my day there getting students
names, etc. That gives me a opportunity to use my Spanish. So I
started that yesterday, then she took me out to lunch, then we went to
Walmart, bought stuff to make a Postolé, a type of soup/stew, went
back to school and made soup. Did some more work, then ate soup and
went home. Over all, it was a very enjoyable day and totally in
Spanish!! I change my hours there from twice a week to only Fridays,
so that makes my schedule easier.

Occasionally, Mericarmen goes on trips to various other cities to
market this art college to high school students and she said if any of
the trips work out to be on a Thur afternoon to Friday she will invite
me. Sounds like fun to me!!

Homework is starting. Here it is either you have none or a ton. No in
the middle. This weekend I have a 14 page packet to complete, read a
40 page story written 100 yrs ago in very old, complicated Spanish and
write a 1 page essay on a legend that comes from my hometown. Since I
couldn't think of any, I have picked Paul Bunyan. I know he isn't
really a CA story but visiting Trees of Mystery on the CA coast when I
was kid made a impact on me. The huge statues of Paul Bunyan and the
Blue Ox were just so cool and seemed so real.

Okay, back to my tarea (homework)...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heya momma

paul bunyan is cool, that sounds like a cool essay topic.

im beginning to wish i took spanish simply because i can pronouce words in spanish, french is very hard to pronouce properly, especially the letter R. they do this weird throaty noise that i just cant grasp.

i started cleaning my room last night - it felt good. hopefully i'll finish today. pop and i are going to a park this afternoon to go take picture for my photo class - wish us luck.

i miss you and im super jealous, mexico must be so cool :)

beijos!!
sua filha (su hija)
melly bell