Sunday, July 12, 2015

Found it!

I haven't posted in 3 years. I thought google had deleted the blog!! I accidently found my blog today and I really don't know how that happened! Wow..well, I am about to start my 4th year of teaching. It is still a very difficult and time consuming job but I am WAY better at it and I have learned to be more time efficient! I am still at the same school in the same position as a dual language/ESL teacher. I teach ELAR and science (both in English). My teaching partners teach math and social studies in Espanol!  We all teach science in English.

My view of the profession has evolved over time. I am resentful of the state test and how much time I am suppose to dedicate to preparing the students for it. I find it interesting how schools want to hire dynamic, innovative and creative teachers but yet all they really want me to teach is test prep. It is all about the test. Literally, not figuratively, if it isn't on the test we do not teach it! Testing is so overwhelming I feel guilty if I let my students spend 10 minutes independently reading a book of their choice! Geeze. Guilt or not, I let them read and they love it!!  I have research on my side. There is no research that says test prep is the best way to teach or for kids to learn. So I will continue to sneak in real live, honest to goodness independent reading!!

My next educational goal for myself is to earn a phd in language acquisition. I already know what I want to research. Why is it that dual language students are as a whole more successful academically than bilingual students? I may find in my research that it isn't a valid question as it is too generalized but in my experience that is what I have noticed and I am always perplexed by it. When or where I will pursue my phd is still an unknown but it is always in the back of my mind. It is on my "bucket" list of things to do!!


No comments: