Saturday, July 14, 2012

New Teacher Ideals

Today, I have decided to start blogging about my dreams for my
upcoming school year. First, I want to implement Daily 5 and CAFE. My
vision for my future class will be a group of 5th graders who will be
eager to learn and will be open to whatever I offer, however I know it
will NEVER be that easy. Most likely, I will have to convert more than
a few to love learning!! I believe Daily 5 will give me the literacy
structure that I will need to help those who need to become
stronger in reading. Also, I want to convert any 5th graders from what I
guess, are casual readers, into READERS. For those who are doing well
in reading, I hope to strengthen their reading foundation and take
them to high levels of fluency and comprehension.

I want to use Whole Brain Teaching (WBT) as a method of teaching. I
used a few parts last fall during my student teaching and found that
it provided me some structure. I used class/yes, hands/eye, the 5
rules and started on the super improvers board (but it was a flop). I
believe the WBT will provide a path of teaching that will be dynamic,
interactive and fun. I understand better, after the conference
in Louisiana, that class/yes and teach/okay are really ment to work
together instead of in isolation. From watching and listening to
others at the WBT conference, I could hear and see how when used
together there is a real rhythm to the pair and it does keep learning
active and interesting!!

Finally, I want a classroom that is open to and embraces diversity. I
have done a lot of research on teaching minority students and it is
imperative that I honor and respect who they are and their  home culture
This includes children from African American, Hispanic,
Asians and even European. We all come from a variety of life
experiences and culture. We may all be born in the USA (or not) but that does
not mean we all have the same cultural experience and it certainly
does not mean that one culture is superior over another. I want my
students to know they have a voice and I want to provide them role
models that represent them and their life's experiences. I will not
expect any of them to leave who they are at the door and conform to my
idea of culture. Research is clear, when students are embraced and
celebrate for who they are, they are more successful. Students who
are expected to conform to some other interpretation of culture that
is different than their own, are less successful. I am going for
success!

No comments: