Saturday, October 11, 2008

Long time no Blog!

School started at the end of August and just as it was starting to gel, Hurricane Ike hit. An unplanned vacation, then start over again. School started up in double speed. I now have so much homework. I have to do some daily or I very easily get behind. I am doing about 3-5 hours a day. It is crazy to be doing this much but it is the only way.

It has been 4 weeks since the hurricane and for us, life is back to normal. Our community, the City of Seabrook, however, will be years. I drove down one the streets the other day that is along the bay and I thought it was the "street of broken dreams". It is so so sad. Some homes are literally gone, washed away. The remaining are pretty beaten up. Only a hand full of new construction survived with minimal damage. The area is more cleaned up than it was but there are still few people around. A block or 2 in from the beach is "old town" most all of that area flooded. Seabrook has survived many a hurricane and areas that have never flooded, flooded this time. 4-6 feet of water in most of the homes and businesses.

What is the saying, "there by the grace of god goes I". If the surge had been bigger it could have been us. While I was driving down the road by the bay, I took a moment to look at one of the homes that I pestered Paul to consider buying when we started looking for homes out here. It is still there, that is about all I can say. It is pretty beaten up by the storm, no front porch, the underneath is stripped bare, windows blown out and more.

My doggies want to be fed....

Hasta manana!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kathy! I was just thinking about you and how we hadn't heard about what you found when you got back after Ike. So I checked here thinking that "Maybe...." I'm thinking it might be time to change the name of this blog? Anyway I'm pleased to learn that your place was in good shape. whew.
Good luck with the math. Sorry I didn't get to see you when you were out here. It was WONDERFUL to visit with Caitlin!!!
--C.