Friday, March 07, 2008

Week 7-

My big excitement this past week was going with my director at my internship on trip to a little town to promote Unarte. It was a very enjoyable time for me and a day to practice my Spanish. Maricarmen doesn't speak any English, so I got to do a lot of practice. Sometimes though, we would laugh so hard at our miscommunications. She knows a few words but that is about it.
We visited 5 different schools. Basically she would stand before a class of seniors and promote Unarte. At one of the schools, once she was done with her 10min speech, then kids were filling out a information form, and the next thing I know is that Maricarmen is telling me that they want me to speak English. It was such a funny feeling, never in my life have I had a skill or ability to do something that was worth a request! I had a trick, I could speak English!!  It felt very awkward but I managed to say a few things to them. They wanted to know about Houston. I told them Houston is hot! Well, I forgot, in Spanish, there are two kinds of hot, 2 words, one for heat hot and one for  sexy hot. By my staying Houston was hot, they though sexy hot! After a good laugh, Maricarmen explained it was weather!!! 
The rest of the day wasn't quite as exciting but still enjoyable. We got back to Puebla about 5:00pm and so we chilled at Maricarmens home for a couple hours, then we went to a art exhibit opening. 2 professors at Unarte and about 7 students had their art on display. It is pretty cool stuff, very abstract but cool. Going to art opening was just as I imagine. All kinds of beautiful and interesting people sipping wine, snacking on hor'devores to sweet live jazz music in the background. A grand day.

Over the weekend I took a bus to the fiuqa (fi-u-ka) which is a huge market place that sells just about everything under the sun. It was very crowded so I didn't stay long. I was just please I found it via the bus without any problems.

Mostly I just did homework. This whole week (first part of March now) is just about all homework. Next week I have 2 large tests.

Paul and the girls will be heading down in less than 2 weeks so I am very happy about that!! I can't wait to see them. I am meeting them in Queretaro, a town north of Mexico City about 2 hours. We will be there for about 2 days, then we head to Acapulco for 3 days, then to Puebla to bring me back. Paul is bringing me lots of supplies and clothes for warm weather. Then I can send home with him what I am not using here and all my winter clothes. Hopefully that will really lighten up my luggage for when I get home.

Weather here is still spring like, although, we did have two days that we actually had a rain shower in the evenings. Very rare I hear, it only lasted a hour or so.

Adios till next time!



No comments: