Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Where am I?

I just realized, I not written anywhere on my blog...where I am...for those who don't know. I am attending a Spanish school called "Kukulcan", in Cuernavaca, Mexico. I am earning credits/units here towards my bachelors in Spanish from Univeristy of Houston. My classes are basically Spanish 3, 4, and 5. When I return to UH in January for the spring semester, I take Spanish 6, the final "learning spanish class". Starting Fall 2007, I start all my upper division courses, where it is expected that I will be more or less fluent as the classes will be Literature and history etc. If I don't have a good command of the language by next fall, I am in big trouble!! I have to do well here to achieve the progress I need to be prepared.

Cuernavaca is south west of Mexico City, about 75 miles or so. The nickname of this city is "eternal spring" as it is about 75-80 degrees in the day and 65-60 at night, year round. No humidity either!! This is the rainy season, rains most every evening, as well as thunder and lightening. It rains hard, but like Houston, not for long. Maybe a hour or 2. But since it really rains at night most of the time, it really doens't get in the way of much. I am in bed when it rains.

This city has a long history of being the vacation spot for all the elite of Mexico City. Many famous Mexican artists, politians etc have had homes here: ie: Frida Kahlo y Diego Riviera and many others. Cuernavaca is also the capitol city of this state, Morelos. So all the government offices are here. Naturally the politicans live here as well. They only way, I know there are around here as there is generally armed guards guarding the homes. All homes here are behind walls so one never knows what they look like. Unless, you walk by when the gates are open!!

The city is very pretty. Tons of flowering trees. Some are so beautiful. The color of the trees, just give the city such a nice feel inspite of the garbage issue.

Oh, I found out today, the garbage issue has only been happening for a month or so, and supposedly today it has a solution. So the mountains of garbage should be leaving soon.

Oh... I met another goal!! I finally all by myself, negioated my own taxi to get home from the mall. Now I know I can do it again!!!

hasta manana

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey mom!!
I'm glad to hear from you, evn though I just talked to you last night.
I like reading your blog, so keep posting! ^^
I love you!
muah!
ksm

Anonymous said...

Hey Kathy!!
So glad you enjoying your time away!! Gosh, you are going to be gone thru Christmas??? Maybe I read that wrong! Anyway, you are brave. The garbage issue is interesting. I remember when we just went to Baja. Trash was blowing around all over. I never did see a trash can! We brought our trash back to the states.
I will ask Mary Kays daughter in law a bit about where you are. She is from Mexico City and has a home there but right now she is in the Mexican Embassy in Georgia as a consult hoping to retire soon. She actually only keeps the house so her mom can live there. She wants to retire in Westport..Can't believe anyone would want that.
Have fun. We are about to go home soooo glad. love and blessings Carolyn